Ooh Those Summer Nights...Music and Memories

So a friend from high school challenged me to post an album cover a day for twenty days with no explanation, just the cover.

Easy right?

Well today I posted the soundtrack from the movie Grease. I was obsessed with that movie as a child and imagined I was Danny Zuko, leader of the T-Birds. I swear I drove my mom crazy that summer playing that album over and over. That's how kids drove their parents crazy before VHS, DVD, and on demand movies...lol.

It got me thinking about the friends I hung out with then and the crazy things we did as kids. I led a relatively sheltered life (that's a story for another time). The girls I took dance classes with and I had the same tastes in music as well as movies so we would bug our parents to take us to see those movies together of course.

I had this one friend, Danielle, that I hung out with more than others the summer that Grease came out. I don't remember how many times we saw the movie, but I know it was more than once. When the soundtrack came out, my mom bought it for me. It was a two album set and I would play it over and over as Danielle and I sang the songs and acted out the parts. We skipped the songs that were played during the school dance because we thought they were boring. The only female song I sang was There Are Worse Things I Do sung by Stockard Channing who played the leader of the Pink Ladies. Even then those lyrics struck a cord inside me and spoke to me like nothing else.

So with the help of Facebook I reached out and messaged Danielle, whom I haven't thought of in decades...and she answered! we spent some time going down memory lane and getting caught up with promises of getting together as soon as we are able in light of the COVID pandemic sweeping the nation at this time.

So I challenge you to reach out to someone you haven't spoken to in a while. That friend you spent crazy summer nights with, that friend you suffered through dance lessons, girl/boy scouts, church camp, marching band, or whatever sport you played in school...reach out!

Who knows what may happen?

Comments

Popular Posts